How to Set up the Wii for the First Time
Applies to: Wii, Wii mini
In this article, you'll learn how to set up the Wii console for the first time.
Note: The Wii mini does not have Wi-fi capabilities, and therefore cannot connect to the Internet.
Complete these steps
- Connect your Wii to your TV or display.
- Verify that the Wii Remote is functioning, by pressing the A Button on the Wii Remote:
- The LEDs should blink momentarily, then switch to just the first LED being illuminated.
- If the LEDs blink, and then go out, sync the Wii remote.
- Go through the initial settings on the Wii Console:
- Once the console is connected and turned on, you will see a screen that says, Press A to continue in multiple languages. Press the A Button on the Wii Remote.
- Select the following settings, then select Confirm from the lower-right of the screen after each.
- Sensor bar position: Above TV or Below TV
- Current date: Select the up and down arrows above and below the month, day, and year to change.
- Current time: Select the up and down arrows above and below the hour and minutes to change. Please note that he clock is a 24-hour clock (military time). Make sure the you are entering the correct time if it's PM.
- Widescreen settings: Standard (4:3) is for TVs with a standard screen size. Widescreen (16:9) is for widescreen TVs.
- Console nickname: Select the blank box, then enter a nickname for the console - you can pick any name you would like.
- Country of residence: Select the up and down arrows to scroll through the list
- After entering these settings, the console will ask if Parental Settings will be used. If Yes is selected, follow the on-screen directions to set up the parental controls.
- A screen will appear letting you know that the Wii console has a screen burn-in reduction filter. Select OK on this screen to complete the initial setup process.
- On some consoles, a video may begin playing. This video explains the many features of connecting the Wii console to the internet. If the video does play, you will be able to view it again by selecting the Wii + Internet channel that appears on the Wii Menu.